Areas of Practice
- Tax and Estate Planning
- Corporate Reorganizations
- Business Structures
- Charities and Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Master of Laws (LLM) in Tax
Osgoode Hall, York University (Toronto), 2015
- Advanced Management, Leadership and Strategy Certificate
Asper School of Business, University of Manitoba (Winnipeg), 2012
- Mediation and Arbitration Certificate, Level II
Alberta Arbitration and Mediation Society (Edmonton), 1996
- Bachelor of Laws,
University of Alberta (Edmonton), 1993
- Bachelor of Arts
University of Manitoba (Winnipeg), 1989
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Victoria Estate Planning Council
- Victoria Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association (Executive Member)
Kathleen A. Butler joined Dwyer Tax Law as an associate tax lawyer in August, 2018.
- Masters in Tax Law from Osgoode Hall (York University, Toronto), 2015.
- 20 Years of experience in corporate and business law (including private-public partnerships) before deciding to focus on tax law.
- Firsthand experience with management and small business ownership.
- Part of the executive team that launched the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
- Member (student) of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
- Member of the Executive, Women’s Law Forum of Vancouver Island.
- Member of the Executive, Wills Trusts and Estates Subsection (Vancouver Island), Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch).
- Frequent speaker on tax and estate planning matters to local business and professional groups.
- Tax News Service and Domestic Case Law Correspondent for International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (Amsterdam).
- Kathleen spends as much time as possible around water. Her grandfather, a waterski pioneer, introduced Kathleen to waterski when she was a young girl. Kathleen was Canadian National Waterski Champion and has represented Canada in international competitions.
- Kathleen also enjoys dragon boating, outrigger canoes, kayaking, and generally experiencing the West Coast outdoors.
- Kathleen is married and has three grown sons, plus an adorable Yorkshire Terrier, Grace.
- Law Student Mentor, University of Victoria.