Reporting Foreign Assets

The CRA requires that Canadians who hold foreign assets (even with a Canadian brokerage) with a total cost of $100,000 or more at any point in the year report those assets every year (even if they did not produce any income) on a form called a T1135. The form requires detailed information and is fairly complex.  The 2015 federal budget proposes a simplification to the foreign asset reporting system in certain cases.  Learn more in our Tax Talk article by clicking here.

Recent News